Bunions, or pain to the side of the big toe joint, are hereditary in nature. The pain and deformity can be made worse by tight shoes, but shoe choice is not the cause of the deformity. Bunions are caused by a malalignment of the foot bones.
- Pain to the side of the big toe joint
- Redness and swelling to the big toe joint
- Big toe that is drifting towards the 2nd toe
Treatment May Include
- Initial x-rays to determine the severity of the deformity
- Conservative options include proper arch support, wider shoes, and anti-inflammatories
- Surgery to correct the position of the bones
If your bunion is affecting your lifestyle/daily activities please come see us. There are a variety of options to help with the pain that may or may not include surgery. Also, if surgery is required, most patients will be walking on their foot a few days after the procedure. There is no reason to continue suffering through the pain.